Wednesday 31 December 2014

Happy New Year: Scheveningen and Oliebollen

When it comes to New Year's Eve in the Netherlands the Dutch seem to like to either blow things up or burn things. A good example of this is in Scheveningen, which is where we headed this afternoon to take a peek.

There, on the beach, pallet mountains are being built to burn at midnight. As a Brit my health and safety alarms were ringing like they have never rung before but hey, their pallet pile, their risk...... right?


It's nuts and I have never seen anything like it - but I guess at midnight it is a fire and a half......

Turning the other direction on the beach, away from Scheveningen,  the view was spectacular. A beautiful image to end the year with.


And in other news today I made oliebollen. From scratch. I have been in the Netherlands now for fourteen years so I thought it was about time I gave it a go. Oliebollen are a doughnut like treat and more traditionally Dutch and New Year's Eve you cannot get. The ones I made looked like oliebollen. They tasted like oliebollen. They were lekker

So on that note, I wish you all a wonderful evening and all the best for 2015!! 






3 comments:

  1. Those oliebollen look fantastic! One of my favourite Dutch treats. Happy new year! ~Ree

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still looking for the best oliebollen recipe. I tried two different ones last evening. They were both good, but yours look better. Care to share your recipe? Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the recipe I used: http://www.ah.nl/allerhande/recept/R-R1185158/mini-oliebollen-met-cranberry

    ReplyDelete